Fever blister or cold sores, whatever you call them, are truly painful and one of the most irritating sores that usually take place on lips, chin, cheeks, nostrils, even on fingers.
A virus, known as the herpes simplex type 1 virus, is mainly responsible for causing fever blisters. Though it takes around two to three weeks to get rid of fever blister, you can surely get rid of them with some handy natural ingredients.
Here are some most efficient ways to heal fever blisters. Let’s get started without delay!
What Causes Fever Blisters ?
By the time you come across this section, you probably come to know that a virus named “herpes simplex type 1 virus” is responsible for fever blister.
If you are still wondering about fever blister causes, FYI, you can get affected being in direct contact like hugging, kissing, etc. with someone having fever blisters.
Besides, indirect contacts like using the same towel or handkerchief, even lip balm with someone infected with fever blisters may affect you too.
Apart from these most notable causes, there are a few things like lip injury, cosmetic surgery, hormonal changes, stress, even dental treatment might cause fever blister as well.
How Long Do Fever Blisters Last ?
Depending on the symptoms as it varies person to person. Also, it depends on the blister whether it is the first outbreak or not.
Whenever you get affected with something like that, make sure to check the signs and symptoms first. Usually, cold sore symptoms last around a few days whereas it can take up to two or three weeks to get rid of fever blisters completely.
However, if you have an outbreak at the same spot once again, it might take less time to heal compared to the first time outbreak.
How To Get Rid Of A Fever Blister Fast ?
We are going to introduce you some highly effective home remedies that you can use to get rid of a fever blister comparatively faster.
Also, we will try to cover some medications that physicians often suggest to the affected fellows. So, let’s check out the cures of fever blisters in the following in no time.
Tea Tree Oil:
The very first thing you can try is- Tea Tree Oil. Yes, the antiviral properties of tea tree oil help to get rid of fever blister really faster.
However, if you have sensitive skin issues like the allergy or something else, you can better use a dilute form of tea tree oil. Here is how to do the hack!
- Take one drop of tea tree oil in a small cup
- Add 2-3 drops of fresh water in the cup
- Mix them very well
- Apply the mixture thrice a day using cotton ball
You can also use olive oil instead of water to dilute tea tree oil. While mixing, remember to add the equal amount of this essential oil with tea tree oil. Apply the mixture as directed above. We hope you will experience a significant change within three to four days of application.
Ice can be another most effective remedy to get rid of swelling and redness due to fever blisters. Also, the application of ice cube on the affected area can help you to a great extent to ease the pain associated with the blisters.
Moreover, ice massage helps to prevent from severe breakout as well.
- Take a fresh piece of soft cloth
- Wrap some ice cubes with it
- Now, gently press the cubes on the affected area
- Massage for around 10-15 minutes
- Apply ointment afterward
- Repeat the process with an interval of 3-4 hours
The calcium and immunoglobulins in whole milk made it another effective treatment for cold sores or fever blisters. These properties in milk fight against the virus, which is responsible for causing blisters.
Whole milk also contains some antiviral properties as well. Besides, it also makes the healing process quicker.
- Take some cold whole milk in a small cup
- Soak a cotton ball into it
- Now, gently apply on the affected area
- Wait for around 10 to 15 minutes
- Keep repeating the process several times until you get rid of fever blisters.
Along with the application of cold whole milk directly on the affected area, you can also drink warm milk for a more rapid result. Also, do not forget to add one tbsp. of turmeric in the glass. Drink the mixture twice a day.
While the healing properties in the whole milk fight against the virus causing fever blister, turmeric will ease the pain due to blisters and get rid of fever blisters.
Aloe Vera :
You might know that aloe vera is called the magic plant. Have you ever thought why it is called Magic Plant? It contains lots of healing agents for many health issues, especially skin issues.
In case of a fever blister, use of aloe vera can significantly help get rid of pain and skin inflammation on an instant.
It contains anti-inflammatory properties, anti-viral properties, and most notably anti-bacterial properties that fight the blister causing virus and prevent further outbreak.
The anti-bacterial properties of aloe vera gel kill the virus while the other healing agents accelerate the healing process.
- Take a fresh and organic aloe vera leaf and cut the leaf into several pieces
- Extract aloe gel from the leaf and store them in a small cup
- You can add a few drops of tea tree oil in the cup and mix the ingredients
- Now, apply the mixture on the affected area using a cotton ball or simply with your fingertips
- Wait until it dries on its own
- Wash off with lukewarm water and pat dry with soft towel
- Repeat the process several times a day until you get rid of blisters completely
Lemon Balm Leaves :
If you can manage to collect some lemon balm leaves, you can surely enjoy the benefits and get rid of fever blisters effortlessly.
Like other ingredients as mentioned earlier, it also contains some astringent and antibacterial properties that work as a natural anti-blister agent together.
The antibacterial agents in the lemon balm leaf fight against the virus and make the healing process faster. It also purifies the affected area and eliminates the swelling.
- Boil one cup of fresh water
- Add some lemon balm leaves when the water steams
- Leave them for around 5-6 minutes
- Take the leaves out and store the mixture in a small cup
- Now, take a cotton ball and soak it in the mixture
- Apply the mixture gently on the blister-affected area
- Repeat the process4-5 times daily for a few days
If you are looking for a simple and handy ingredient for fever blister treatment, garlic can be a decent choice to go.
Garlic contains some natural antiviral and antibacterial agents that work effectively to get rid of fever blister.
The antibacterial properties in garlic help to kill the virus causing fever blisters and remove the infection. Besides, the healing agents inside garlic also boost the healing process as well.
- Take a few cloves of garlic and crush them
- Make a fine thick paste
- Now, apply the paste and leave it for 10-15 minutes
- Rinse off with fresh water and pat dry
- Repeat the process twice or thrice a day until you experience betterment
Tea Bags :
Tea bags, either used or a fresh one can be another simple yet effective ingredient to treat fever blisters.
Naturally, organic tea contains astringent, tannic acid, and some antiviral properties that work effectively to fight the blister-causing virus.
Also, the antioxidants and vitamins inside tea leaves contribute a lot to boost the healing process.
- Place a tea bag into one cup of boiling water
- Let it boil for 1-2 minutes
- Take out the tea bag and wait until it cools down
- Now, place the soaked tea bag over the affected area and leave there for a few minutes
- Repeat the process 4-5 times a day for a quicker result
Bottom Line :
Apart from these natural ingredients, you can also try Baking Soda, Common Salt, Peppermint Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar, Hydrogen Peroxide, etc. can be worth trying to get rid of fever blister.
However, it is always the safest way to treat with natural ingredients in such issues like fever blisters. If the problem persists, don’t delay to talk to your doctor and go for medication.