Highlighter is a magical product that can add a radiant glow to your complexion. It’s no wonder that it has become a staple in every makeup lover’s collection. But can you put highlighter on cheeks? The answer is a resounding yes! Applying highlighter to your cheeks is a fantastic way to enhance your features and achieve a luminous glow.
When applied to the high points of your cheeks, highlighter can create the illusion of higher cheekbones and a youthful, dewy complexion. It adds a beautiful shimmer and luminosity to your face, making you look like you just stepped out of a magazine.
But applying highlighter to your cheeks isn’t just about slapping it on and hoping for the best. There are techniques and tips that can help you achieve a flawless application. From choosing the right highlighter for your skin type to knowing where to apply it, there are a few things you need to keep in mind to get that perfect glow.
In this article, I will walk you through everything you need to know about using highlighter on your cheeks. We’ll explore where to apply it, different techniques for highlighting, how to choose the right highlighter, and tips for a flawless application. By the end, you’ll be a highlighter pro, ready to rock that luminous and radiant look.
Where to Apply Highlighter on Your Face
When it comes to achieving a radiant and glowing complexion, knowing where to apply highlighter on your face is key. Highlighter can enhance your features and create a natural glow when applied to specific areas. Here are some cheek highlighting techniques to help you achieve that perfect glow:
- Cheekbones: Applying highlighter on the highest point of your cheekbones can help define and lift the face.
- Brow Bone: Adding a touch of highlighter to the brow bone can give the illusion of a lifted brow and make your eyes appear more awake.
- Inner Corners of the Eyes: A subtle dab of highlighter in the inner corners of your eyes can brighten and open up the eyes.
- Bridge of the Nose: Applying highlighter down the bridge of your nose can create a slimming effect and add dimension to your face.
- Lower Chin: Highlighting the lower chin can help enhance your jawline and create a more sculpted look.
- Cupid’s Bow: Adding highlighter to your cupid’s bow can make your lips appear fuller and more pronounced.
- Collarbone: For a radiant finish, applying highlighter to your collarbone can give a subtle glow to your décolletage.
By strategically applying highlighter to these areas, you can achieve a natural and luminous look. Remember to blend the highlighter well for a seamless finish. Experiment with different cheek highlighting techniques to find the one that works best for you.
Different Approaches to Highlighting
Highlighting the face can be achieved through different approaches, each offering unique techniques to enhance your features and create a radiant glow. Understanding these different approaches and their respective techniques can help you master the art of using highlighter on your cheeks.
- Contouring: One popular approach is contouring, which involves a combination of contour, highlight, bronze, and blush. Contouring allows you to sculpt and define your face by enhancing and minimizing specific features. By shading the hollows of your cheeks and applying highlighter to the high points, you can create a beautifully sculpted look.
- Spot-Highlighting: Another approach is spot-highlighting, a technique that involves applying highlighter to specific areas of the face to create a targeted glow. This technique allows you to strategically accentuate features such as the cheekbones, brow bone, and nose, resulting in a luminous and radiant complexion.
Both contouring and spot-highlighting have their own unique techniques, allowing you to achieve different effects depending on your desired look. Whether you prefer a soft and natural glow or a bold and sculpted effect, experimenting with these different approaches can help you discover the highlighting technique that best suits you.
Note: The image above showcases the perfect use of highlighting techniques on the cheeks, creating a beautiful, radiant glow.
Choosing the Right Highlighter
When it comes to choosing the best highlighter for your cheeks and face, there are a few factors to consider. First and foremost, think about your skin type and the level of glow you want to achieve. There are different types of highlighters available, including powder, cream, liquid, and gel formulations.
For a more natural and subtle glow, powder highlighters are a great option. They are easy to blend and can be built up for a more intense luminosity. Some popular powder highlighters for cheeks include the L’Oréal Paris True Match Lumi Shimmerista Highlighting Powder. It provides a beautiful and radiant sheen that enhances your features without looking overdone.
If you prefer a more dewy and fresh look, cream and liquid highlighters can give your cheeks a healthy and glowing appearance. These formulations work well on dry and normal skin types, as they provide hydration while delivering a subtle luminosity. The L’Oréal Paris True Match Lumi Glotion Natural Glow Enhancer is an excellent choice in this category.
Remember to take your skin tone into consideration when selecting a highlighter. Opt for shades that complement your complexion rather than clash with it. If you have fair skin, champagne and pearl shades tend to work well. For medium to dark skin tones, warm gold or bronze shades can beautifully enhance your cheekbones.
- Consider your skin type and desired level of glow when choosing a highlighter.
- Powder highlighters are ideal for a natural and subtle glow.
- Cream and liquid highlighters provide a dewy and fresh look.
- Choose a highlighter that complements your skin tone.
- Popular highlighter options include L’Oréal Paris True Match Lumi Shimmerista Highlighting Powder and L’Oréal Paris True Match Lumi Glotion Natural Glow Enhancer.
How to Apply Highlighter
When it comes to applying highlighter, there are a few techniques you can use to achieve a natural and radiant look. The application method may vary depending on the formula of your highlighter, whether it’s cream, liquid, or powder. Here are some tips for using highlighter on your cheeks:
- Fingers: Cream and liquid highlighters are best applied with your fingers for a seamless blend. Gently dab a small amount of product onto your fingertips and then lightly pat it onto the high points of your cheeks. Using your fingers allows you to control the intensity of the highlighter and blend it into your skin for a natural-looking glow.
- Brushes: Powder highlighters can be applied with a brush for a diffused and subtle glow. A fan brush or a fluffy brush with soft bristles is ideal for this technique. Simply swirl the brush into the powder highlighter and tap off any excess. Then, sweep the brush along the top of your cheekbones, starting from the temple and blending towards the apples of your cheeks.
- Sponges: Another option for applying cream or liquid highlighter is to use a damp makeup sponge, like a beauty blender. Dampen the sponge with water or a setting spray, then dab it onto the highlighter and gently press it onto the high points of your cheeks. The sponge helps to blend the product seamlessly into your skin, giving you a natural and dewy finish.
Additional Tips for Highlighting Cheeks
Here are a few additional tips to help you achieve a flawless highlighter application:
- Start light: It’s always easier to build up the intensity of your highlighter gradually. Start with a small amount, and if you want a more intense glow, you can always add more.
- Blend, blend, blend: Blending is the key to achieving a natural-looking glow. Whether you’re using your fingers, brushes, or sponges, make sure to blend the highlighter well into your skin for a seamless finish.
- Choose the right shade: Consider your skin tone when selecting a highlighter shade. If you have fair skin, opt for champagne or pearl hues. Medium to deep skin tones can go for golden or bronze tones. Experiment to find the shade that complements your complexion and gives you the desired level of glow.
- Consider your face shape: Highlighter can be used to enhance and sculpt your features. For example, if you have a round face shape, you may want to focus on applying highlighter to the high points of your cheekbones to create more definition.
By following these tips and techniques, you’ll be able to use highlighter effectively to add radiance and glow to your cheeks, enhancing your overall makeup look.
Highlighter Application for Different Makeup Looks
Highlighter is a versatile cosmetic product that can be used to create a variety of makeup looks. Whether you’re aiming for a natural daytime glow or a glamorous, radiant appearance, highlighter can be your secret weapon. By strategically applying highlighter to specific areas of your face, you can enhance your features and achieve the desired look.
For a natural daytime look, a subtle application of highlighter to the cheekbones and brow bone can create a luminous and radiant glow. This technique adds a touch of freshness to your face, giving you a healthy and youthful appearance. It’s perfect for everyday wear or when you want a minimal makeup look.
If you’re looking to amp up the glam factor, you can go for a more intense and glowy look. In addition to the cheekbones and brow bone, highlighter can be applied to other key areas of the face. For instance, you can dab a small amount of highlighter on the inner corners of the eyes to make your eyes appear more awake and bright. Adding a subtle shimmer to the center of the eyelid can also create a mesmerizing effect.
For those special occasions or when you simply want to turn heads, don’t be afraid to embrace the power of highlighter on other parts of your body as well. Applying highlighter to the collarbone can add a touch of allure and draw attention to this often overlooked area. It can create a subtle glow that complements your overall makeup look, making you feel like a true star.
Another great way to use highlighter is to enhance the appearance of your cheekbones and create a sculpted effect. By applying a slightly lighter shade of highlighter just above your blush on the highest point of your cheekbones, you can accentuate their natural shape and add depth to your face. This technique is perfect for contouring and achieving a more defined look.
Remember, the key to a flawless highlighter application is to blend well and find the right balance. Use a brush or sponge to blend the highlighter seamlessly into your skin, ensuring a natural and luminous finish. With a little practice and experimentation, you’ll be able to create stunning makeup looks that highlight your best features and make you feel confident and radiant.
Tips for a Flawless Highlighter Application
To achieve a natural and radiant look when using highlighter, follow these tips:
- Prep your base: Before applying highlighter, ensure your face is well-prepped with foundation, concealer, and other face makeup products. This creates a smooth canvas for the highlighter to adhere to.
- Choose the right tools: The tools you use for applying highlighter can make a difference in the outcome. Brushes or sponges are commonly used. Experiment with different tools to find what works best for you.
- Apply with a light hand: Highlighter should be applied with a light touch. Start with a small amount and gradually build up the intensity to achieve the desired glow. This helps create a natural and subtle radiance.
- Blend, blend, blend: Blending is key to achieving a seamless and natural look. Use your fingers, brushes, or sponges to blend the highlighter into your skin, ensuring there are no harsh lines or patches.
- Focus on the high points: Apply highlighter to the high points of your face, such as the cheekbones, brow bone, and bridge of the nose. These areas naturally catch the light and will enhance your features.
- Experiment with placement: While the traditional areas are popular, don’t be afraid to experiment with different placements. Try adding a touch of highlighter to the inner corners of the eyes or the cupid’s bow for a unique glow.
By following these tips, you can achieve a flawless highlighter application that gives your skin a natural and radiant glow.
Unexpected Places to Apply Highlighter
Highlighter can be a game-changer when it comes to creating unique and stunning makeup looks. While applying highlighter to the cheekbones is a classic technique, there are other unexpected areas where you can use highlighter to add that extra glow. These surprising spots can enhance your features and give your makeup an unexpected twist. Let’s explore some of the unexpected places to apply highlighter:
1. Inner Corners of the Eyes
Adding a touch of highlighter to the inner corners of your eyes can instantly awaken your gaze, giving you a bright and youthful appearance. The subtle shimmer in this area will make your eyes appear more open and vibrant.
2. Center of the Eyelid
Placing a little highlighter on the center of your eyelid can make your eyes look bigger and more captivating. When catching the light, this strategic placement can create a mesmerizing effect that draws attention to your eyes.
3. Cupid’s Bow
Highlighting the cupid’s bow above your upper lip can accentuate your lip shape and create the illusion of fuller lips. The subtle glow in this area can make your pout look more defined and alluring.
4. Nose Contouring
Contouring the nose with highlighter can help shape and define this prominent facial feature. Applying highlighter down the bridge of the nose can create a slimming effect and add dimension to your overall look.
Don’t limit your highlighter to just your face! Apply a little shimmer to your collarbone for an enchanting and radiant look. This unexpected touch will add a subtle glow to your décolletage and enhance your overall appearance.
By exploring these unexpected areas to apply highlighter, you can unleash your creativity and elevate your makeup game. Remember, a little goes a long way, so start with a light hand and build up the intensity gradually. Now, go ahead and have fun experimenting with highlighter in unexpected places!
After exploring the world of highlighter application, it’s clear that this versatile product can truly transform your makeup look. By strategically applying highlighter to your cheeks, brow bone, and nose, you can effortlessly enhance your natural features and achieve a radiant, glowing complexion. But it’s not just about slapping on any old highlighter; choosing the right one for your skin type and desired look is essential.
Whether you opt for a powder, cream, liquid, or gel highlighter, finding the perfect match can make all the difference. It’s important to consider your skin tone and the level of glow you’re aiming for. Once you’ve chosen your highlighter, using the appropriate techniques and tools is crucial for a flawless application.
Blend, my friends, blend! The key to achieving a natural and seamless glow is to blend the highlighter well. Whether you use your fingers, brushes, or sponges, take your time and build up the intensity gradually. And remember, a little goes a long way. Start with a light hand, adding more product if desired.
So, whether you want to add a subtle radiance to your everyday makeup or create a glamorous, glowy look for a special occasion, highlighter is your secret weapon. Embrace the power of the highlighter and let your natural glow shine through!